Fascinating facts about Mantis shrimps
Stomatopoda most commonly known as mantis shrimp. There is more than 400 species of mantis shrimps found in worldwide in tropical waters. Mantis shrimp comes with many various of colours from light brown to multicolor peacock mantis shrimp.
This group of crustaceans feeds on fish, crabs and known to eat other mantis shrimps also.
These creatures are very fascinating here is few facts about mantis shrimp.
1. We have 8 different endemic species of mantis shrimps in Raja Ampat. More than 50 different species of mantis can be found in Raja Ampat, multi colour peacock mantis shrimp that can be found in most of the dive sites.
2. They are divided into two categories, spearers and smashers. Spearing mantis are catching worms and small fishies by using their sharps forelimbs Smashers are able to crush the shell of the crabs, snails and rock oysters.
3. Mike Tyson of the sea.
Smasher mantis shrimp strikes the prey faster than bullet travels out of the gun. Mantis shrimp cavities his limbs together to creating bubbles, this bubbles get heated by the fast movement and gets almost as hot as sun. After this mantis strikes into his prey. Crazy right?
4. Be careful with your fingers.
Even its not good to touch anything while you scuba dive, mantis shrimp can brake through class or camera lens. So therefore keep your fingers away of these creatures.
5. Most complex eyes of any known animal
Mantis shrimp has 12 to 16 color receptors, three times more than humans. They have ability to detect ultra violet light, no other animal are know to have this. The eyes scans with his 3 pupils the surroundings and can have better idea of the area than satellite can do fro out of space. By the many factor mantis shrimp has the most complex eyes in the animal kingdom.
6. Can remain with the same partner for life
Depending on the pieces of mantis shrimp they can have longterm relationships that last their lifetime. They both take cares of the eggs, other one protect the eggs while other is hunting food.